Do You Know?
- That non-payment of debt is a civil matter.
- The judiciary (court) is the only institution that can coerce a debtor to pay his debt.
- The Nigeria Police Force and other security outfits do not have jurisdiction to entertain debt recovery matters.
- The use of police to threat, arrest and detain debtors and force them to sign undertakings to liquidate their indebtedness is illegal, an abuse of institution and a flagrant intimidation of ignorant debtors.
- A creditor that uses the police to threaten, arrest and detain a debtor is liable to assault, battery, false imprisonment and damages way above his debt.
- Lawyers are authorised recovery agents.
- It is better, faster and cheaper to appoint a lawyer as your recovery agent.
- Other authorised recovery agents may eventually engage the services of a lawyer in the event of litigation.